Saturday, September 14, 2013

NO ONE LIVES: Gore Galore!

September 14, 2013



As the opening credits roll for "No One Lives," I saw that it was produced by WWE Films. From that alone, I already had an idea in my mind that this would be production run on adrenaline alone.  I was right.

A couple needed to spend the night in a small inn in the middle of nowhere. A gang of ruthless criminals harassed them at the bar then abducted them. But these bad goons and their molls never realized what a bad move they made until it was too late. They had certainly messed with the wrong "mild-mannered" guy.  As the title proudly tells us, no one lives, and we get to be "entertained" by the different gruesome ways by which they die.

Welsh actor Luke Evans, playing the nameless lead character simply called Driver, was effectively charismatic and creepy. Everyone else though had the level of acting you see in a professional wrestling ring -- no subtlety. 

When I went to watch this film, I was thinking it is just a run-of-the-mill Grade-B horror flick.  Well it was, but I never envisioned it would have such a off-the-roof gore factor! Every bloody killing was imaginatively conjured up and graphically executed for us to wince and cringe over. That particularly long and very slow scene with a giant meat grinder was especially torturous to watch.

This is not going to win any awards, but the way this "gore fest" was put together will satisfy and excite gore fanatics. Director Ryƻhei Kitamura spared no expense in giving us the most disgustingly blood-drenched, unreal-ly realistic death scenes for most everyone in the cast as they die one after the other.

I don't like gory films, but this one was not as bad as I expected. It was actually fun, in a weird morbid sense. This is definitely not for the faint of heart.  Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure gore-hounds will enjoy this immensely.  5/10.


1 comment:

  1. The gore really did make me cringe, and I totally agree with you on the meat grinder scene being torturous to watch! But this is what makes the film so enjoyable - Kitamura did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete