Friday, April 17, 2015

Review of KID KULAFU: The Passion of Pacquiao

April 17, 2015



The film begins with a shot of feet walking barefoot in the mud and rain while men are watching a bloody brawl as nightly entertainment. These were very artistically and aesthetically shot with innovative camera angles. We knew by then that we are going to watch a Filipino film of outstanding quality. The opening sequence alone already portends that this is not going to be an ordinary biopic.

Coming into the film, we already knew that this film was going to be about the "National Fist" Manny Pacquiao and his rise from abject poverty in a war-torn Mindanao to a world-renowned multi-billionaire champion boxer. Back in 2006, there was once a biopic by Joel Lamangan which starred Jericho Rosales as Pacquiao. Just last year, we witnessed an excellent documentary "Manny" where the actual real-life characters told their stories. We already have an idea about his inspiring story of hurdling incredible odds to achieve impossible dreams. This film tells the familiar life story again, but Director Paul Soriano manages to tell it again in a gritty and realistic style which will connect with most audiences.

The grittiness and realism of this film is rooted in the casting of an relatively unknown young actor Buboy Villar, who actually looks like one of those lean sinewy amateur pugilists we see in undercard fights. Villar's acting skills were impressive as they have a raw unforced quality. His athletic ability was also evident in those shadow boxing scenes, hauntingly executed so that it looked as if we were watching Pacquiao himself. He was also excellent in those recreations of Pacquiao's early fights -- very excitingly choreographed and edited.

Alessandra de Rossi continues to impress with her acting prowess. Fresh from her award-winning performance in "Bambanti", de Rossi takes on the character of Pacquiao's equally iconic mother, Dionisia.  Though this may fall into caricature in the hands of a lesser actress, de Rossi was more subtly funny as we see in her young Dionisia the beginnings of the brash and feisty Dionisia we all know now. And you know how de Rossi can really kill those dramatic scenes. 

Alex Medina plays Pacquiao's negligent father Rosalio. Cesar Montano plays Sardo, Pacquiao's uncle and first boxing coach and manager. Jake Macapagal plays Dizon, Pacquiao's trainer who helped him win bigger local competitions. These actors make the most of their screen time in effective and nuanced performances. Teen star Khalil Ramos plays Eugene, another promising boxer and Pacquiao's friend. I felt though that his matinee idol looks somehow distracted from the realism of his performance, especially beside Villar's vivid performance.

The corny-sounding title may be a little off-putting for those who do not know that this was actually Pacquiao's first fighting alias. The name comes from his uncle's favorite drink Vino Kulafu, which was a very popular Chinese wine in Mindanao, a contemporary of Sioktong. However, this film should not be judged by its title alone. This is actually a very well-made, first-rate inspirational sports movie that is well-worth the price of its admission. It will move you. 8/10.





20 comments:

  1. I didn't know he came from Mindanao. There's a lot of stories about Pacman already, yet when I watched the trailer of it, I could say that it was taken very nice whoever shoot it. Though I doubt a lot of Filipino will watch this, most of our population want crappy love story. I'm fine with the title, I didn't know the drink anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Manny Pacquiao, but then again it's probably because I'm never into boxing. Doesn't sound like the kind of movie i'll wanna watch, but it sure will be a must watch for all his fans, I reckon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love Manny Pacquiao when he was just starting but today everything changed and it seems it's all about the money. I feel it is more of doing business than sharing the victory to the nation's pride. no offense to the fans ... just my 2cents .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manny is humble, he even admitted to almost destroying his family because of gambling and women on the side. Not a lot of people can own up to their mistakes and change, but he did through Jesus. Definitely watching this movie! Doesn't hurt that I am a fan of Alex De Rossi too haha. Looking forward to seeing the film. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. International films like these amaze me. Malaysia is slowly catching up with the quality of productions but it'll take a few more years to be consistent in international presence

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your post about it is interesting but in reality i doubt will watch it. Maybe my son will admire it more than me. Once i saw the thai boxing in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As great a movie as this sounds it will probably not be something I would watch. That said you have made it seem like a good watch Fred and well worth the time to view it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This doesn't look like a film that will be aired in Singapore. Is you Avengers: Age of Ultron out yet? Awaiting for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't know anything about boxing or have any interest in it so i wont be really watching this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Not my type, baka corny. Nevertheless, gotta see this one just to satisfy my curiosity and to know more about Pacman life story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like my kind of film! I am preparing for the big fight! :) Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the review! This makes me even more curious about the movie. I've heard people talk about this. And it's a different thing if you hear it versus actually watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watch this movie in our house, not in a movie theatre because I did not know that there is a movie of MP titled: KID KULAFU. Just lately I've discovered this movie and I got the chance to see it online for download.

    The movie is so typical, story about a young boy who had a great and big ambition in life..that is to finish his studies and help his mother, Alexandra de Rossi as Mommy D. I admire Buboy Villar and Alexandra acting, they really did their part. I salute them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can't believe there's an available copy online for download! It was just shown in theaters here last week.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow. Now I want to watch. Must be interesting to watch how this was done by a young director and a new actor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fell in love with movies about fighting and boxing since the days of Ong Bak!! *_* Looks like another one for me to have a movie night with!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the directing style of Paul Soriano. It's realistic and gives a lot of information on Manny's beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure what to make of this movie but I might consider it. I don't know much about Manny, but the storyline might be worth a closer watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This movie is very timely, especially with Manny’s fight set to ensue this May. I’m excited to watch it and learn about Pacman’s roots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will soon be watching this movie . really liked the way it is here

    ReplyDelete