Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Cinema One 2015: BAKA SIGURO YATA: Familiar Yet Fresh

November 17, 2015




Like last year, the schedules of this year's Cinema One Originals Film Festival was not too ideal for me. The two times I had time, I was only able to see revisited films from last year. While that was not really that bad, I had really wanted to watch and write about any of the seven films in competition this year. Again I could only catch films after the awards night, so I was already biased in my choices. This film won the Audience Choice and the Best Actor award. I was luckily able to squeeze it into my schedule despite the monstrous EDSA traffic the APEC meet created.

"Baka, Siguro, Yata" ("Maybe, Probably, Possibly") is comedy about three couples and the doubts they have about their relationships. The central couple is overweight slacker Carlo (Dino Pastrano) and Melissa (Valerie “Bangs” Garcia) the girl he gets knocked up on their first drunken encounter. We also see Adrian (Ricky Davao) and Remy (Cherie Gil), Carlo’s estranged parents who rekindle their old flame behind the backs of their current partners. The third couple is Melissa's sister Myka (Katrina Legaspi) and Jinno (Boo Gabunada) and their typical high school dilemma of losing their virginity after the prom.

I did not know Dino Pastrano before this film. I thought this was his first film (it was not) but with the Best Actor award he won, this is definitely his breakthrough film as an actor. Carlo was a loud, lazy loafer, yet the charming Pastrano still manages to get us to like him a lot, and even root for him to get through the tight situation he got himself into. That scene when Melissa shows Carlo the pregnancy test was LOL funny with Pastrano's odd and awkward antics. His face gets slapped left and right here so many times, but hey, the audience loved him for it so the pain was all worth it.

Honestly, I actually liked the parts with the senior stars Ricky Davao and Cherie Gil more. It was truly fun to watch these two actors, more known for their serious dramatic roles, let loose as they played their naughty roles with comic relish. It was just too bad that we do not get to know more about their past, particularly why they separated at all in the first place. They seem so in sync with each other, it made me wonder what event drove them apart and settle for less satisfying relationships.

Katrina Legaspi gave a winning performance as the annoying younger sister Myka. She can steal the scenes from the leads whenever she is onscreen. Strangely, the usually fiery Bangs Garcia did not register too strongly with me this time around despite her bigger role as Melissa. Mailes Kanapi even made a stronger impression than Garcia in her two small scenes as the quirky mother of the girls. Boo Gabunada seemed like an odd choice to portray Jinno. However, he will always be remembered for his corny yet catchy ditty which rhymed the English word "bliss" with the Tagalog word "nakakainis" (annoying).

On paper, the three stories are not at all new. The third act was also too neatly tied up. However the humorous way that these stories were written and directed by Joel Ferrer makes them resound to the millennial, senior and the youth generations. Ferrer was also able to assemble together the right actors to embody his wacky yet endearing characters. The loud guffaws and the generous applause at the end credits were proof of its effective connection with the audience. It is no wonder it won the Audience Choice award. 8/10.


19 comments:

  1. It's nice that they are showcasing indie films such as this. And you've given it a high rating too. That makes it all the more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see that Philippine movies aren't all about mistresses and corny love stories. We need more relevant movies like this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that viewers can relate to the stories as they experience the same in their regular lives. It's good that there's something for everyone--from the young adults to the senior audiences--in those three parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I'm hearing about Cinema One Originals Film Festival. I would love to see this one mainly because of Cherie Gil and that it isn't a mistress kind of movie. Can I still watch it? I think the DVD release will be my best option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first Cinema One Originals filmfest was held way back in 2005! It is held annually every November in selected cinemas. This year Megamall, Glorietta, Resorts World and Trinoma.

      Delete
  5. Chery Gil is a legend! :) First time I've heard about this but I'd love to watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't heard about this either. Neither do I know the actors~ Wonder how I can catch this film when you give it an 8/10!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The senior actors are really can give the scenes with outstanding performances; be it drama or comedy. As always, relationship is the concept for this Pinoy indie film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to check out Cinema one. I am out of touch with the local television schedule. I do not even know all these young stars anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really want to watch movies like this. Is this available in all cinemas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cinema One Originals filmfest this year was held from November 7 to 17, 2015, in Trinoma, Megamall, Glorietta and Resorts World.

      Delete
  10. I'm really trying to convince my husband and myself to start watching Filipino movies. This sounds interesting! I think it will give us a better idea of the culture here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entries in the Cinema One Originals filmfest all have English subtitles, so your American husband can follow the events in the film. :-)

      Delete
  11. I hope they have titles in english so that we can watch it. Your rating is quite good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow surprisingly this film scored high rating from you. But its not screening in my country so not able to watch it and not sure its available online or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting, another Pinoy movie to be proud of! I haven't watched Ricky Davao for a long time, so this is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  14. pinoy movies are really something.. I love watching interntional movies but i can't deny the fact i also love filipno movies. it's something that we should be proud of.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this kind of film i am truly supports. they may sound fabulous but it tackles reality...kudos to Ms. Gil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope they do more cinema one originals. It comes with a fresher approach than mainstream films. I hope to catch this too.

    ReplyDelete