Saturday, September 23, 2017

Review of MESSAGE FROM THE KING: Search for Sister

September 20, 2017



This film had a trailer which practically told you the gist of its story about a man searching for his missing sister. I immediately felt the intensity and intimacy of the film from that simple but compelling trailer. I wanted to know what happened to the sister and how he will find her, or maybe not. The story may be common, but the moody treatment by its Belgian director Fabrice Du Welz looked different and interesting.

From South Africa, Jacob King arrived in LAX planning to stay in Los Angeles for only a week with only $600 in cash and no credit cards. He wanted to look for his younger sister Bianca who sent him a cryptic distress call. From the get go, he discovered that Bianca fallen with the wrong people, mostly drug dealers and sex fiends. He knew then his search may not lead to anything good.

The story was told in a most straightforward manner. The events of Jacob's search were in linear order, with a few flashbacks of Jacob and Bianca's childhood playing in their home country to establish their closeness as siblings. As the search story unfolded though, it was not as simple as I initially thought it would be. 

There were three major bad guys that Bianca got herself involved with. These were the gangster Zico (Lucan Melkonian), the dentist Dr. Paul Wentworth (Luke Evans) and the filmmaker Mike Preston (Alfred Molina). There were also some druggies, like Bianca's slutty roommate Trish (Natalie Martinez) and their slimy dealer Frankie (Tom Felton). I thought the connections among these people were very well-written and plotted. 

At the end though, I I thought the all-important reason behind Bianca's fate in the film was not too clearly explained. There was an SD card among the clues Jacob found among Bianca's things, and we do see the video file in it was all about. However, I could not tell how the contents of that video could have led to what happened to Bianca. The director decided to let us imagine how it happened, instead of showing it to us. 

Chadwick Boseman was very good both in the intense physical and emotional aspects of Jacob King. We already saw him hit the box office big time as King T'challa of Wakanda, the Black Panther, in "Captain America: Civil War" (2016). Before that in 2014, Boseman played real life personalities like Jackie Robinson in "42" and James Brown in "Get On Up". He is also playing Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Justice of the US Supreme Court, in the upcoming film "Marshall". Things are indeed looking up for this actor's career.

Luke Evans plays it very smooth as Wentworth, even if he had to mouth some pretty silly dentist lines about teeth and personality. Alfred Molina can really milk everything out of even the shallowest characters like Preston, maximizing his every emotional moment to come up with a memorable three-dimensional portrayal. 

Teresa Palmer was deglamorized here to play Kelly, Jacob's next door neighbor who helped him out. Zimbabwean actress Sibongile Mlambo did not have a single line of dialogue as Bianca King, but her exotic vibe beauty made her stand out.

I liked the way the character of Jacob King was developed in the story. Right up to the very last scene, we learn something new about him. The way he used a bicycle chain as a deadly weapon was an original touch. While this was still a B-action revenge film at heart, but it done with artistic vision and flair. 6/10. 


12 comments:

  1. thank information and thank's for sharing and Do not forget to stop by my blog yes.....
    erogan
    My Jelly
    penirum
    alphamanix
    strong man
    Tengenix
    Daun Bungkus Papua
    Perangsang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies like this. Thanks for sharing and I will have to be sure and watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the trailer of this movie. Big actors lineup for this one. At first I thought its a trailer of Black Panther lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me at Tom Felton! And the story sounds one that'll leave me at the edge of my seat. I'll definitely need to add this to my to watch list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this movie before but movies like this are very iffy from the start because revenge films are mostly about violence and not really on story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first line itself was engaging. Reminded me of Taken! Too bad that the narration wasn't as exciting and the film was just straightforward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of the movie, especially that the feminine character doesn't speak the entire movie. I think that makes it very intriguing and worth seeing, for the director's vision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't like watching trailers because I feel that they always include pretty much the entire film in the trailer so it kind of ruins it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a nice quest for Jacob King to follow. It would be good to know how things would end up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always hard for me when the fate of someone at the end of a film is hard to understand. Still, this sounds interesting to view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I saw the trailer of this film and it's quite interesting. I am looking forward to watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite interesting though straightforward. However having unexpected twists in the story line makes the movie exciting.

    ReplyDelete