Saturday, June 20, 2015

Review of RETURN TO SENDER: Rape and Recovery?

June 19, 2015




Miranda (Rosamund Pike) is a nurse who's got it all it seems -- her own nice house, a loving supportive Dad (Nick Nolte), a stable career about to go the next level. One day, a lecherous stranger William (Shiloh Fernandez) gains access into her house and rapes her. As her neat little world comes crumbling down around her, Miranda embarks on a novel form of "therapy", in the hope of recovering from the brutal trauma she suffered.

A rapist is not only a sexual assaulter, but also the ultimate bully and power-tripper. A rape victim is violated not only sexually and physically, but also psychologically, mentally and even spiritually. What may be a few minutes of torture will haunt a victim for a lifetime. 

Films about this crime are very difficult and uncomfortable to watch. But being powerfully rich in dramatic pain and torment, rape and its aftermath had been the topic of hundreds of films and tv shows. Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon" (1950) and Ingmar Bergman's "The Virgin Spring" (1960) are both Oscar-winning classics of World Cinema. "Johnny Belinda" (1948) and"The Accused" (1988) have won Best Actress Oscars for Jane Wyman and Jodie Foster respectively. But no, before you expect too much, "Return to Sender" does not have Oscars in its future.

Lead star Rosamund Pike shot "Return to Sender" BEFORE her Oscar-nominated turn in "Gone Girl". There is a lot of her "Gone Girl" performance here as well -- the subtle mysterious boiling under her cool-as-ice exterior. The strange script makes her do a lot of illogically unexpected, supposedly therapeutic activities, and Pike does them with her game face straight on. Seeing her make these puzzling decisions, we are as frustrated as her father Mitchell was in the film.  

Shiloh Fernandez was clearly up to no good the moment we see him onscreen. He has got a raw roguish look about him that makes him work as this vile character. Nick Nolte is now all grandfatherly and Santa Claus-like with his white beard and body heft, playing MIranda's father Mitchell. This look is so unlike how I last remember him during his prime in the 1990s in film like "Cape Fear" or "The Prince of Tides." But his effectivity as an actor remains.

Watching "Return to Sender" felt like watching three different short films which were just tenuously connected to each other. It veers away from the oft-repeated Rape-Revenge trope ("I Spit on Your Grave", "Lipstick", "Angela Markado" to name a few) by giving us an interesting head-scratcher of a second act. However, the final act was maddening because it never really showed us clearly what happened. I am sure those who have invested time to follow the movie to this point may not exactly relish this disappointing ending, as I was. 4/10.


18 comments:

  1. It is difficult to watch a movie like this especially if you have two daughters. But thanks so much for the review, at least we already have a guide if this movie a flop or a pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like watching cliffhanger movies. You did a great review on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosamund Pike seems to be getting into these kinds of roles. I think I'm going to watch this still, but I'll try not to expect much from it. I like these kinds of films though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whah, you have given us clue not to watch this film.. Nevertheless, a very honest review sir. Who knows I may have a change of heart and out of curiosity watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning of your review almost convinced me to watch it though I'm not familiar with the actors/actresses. I thought it would be some inspiring movie. Thanks for another heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to watch this film because of its plot, but I used to such film with this kind. Rape and crime movie always has its degree and dimension to understand the actors message. Overall, nice watching film with a message to viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i haven't heard of this and this doesn't sound like a film i would want to watch myself

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seemed like I am more interested watching the 4 films you have mentioned in your review of Return to Sender.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like this type of ending where the director try to create curiosity but at the end we feel walking out of the cinema unsatisfied. Not sure I want to watch this movie or not. If I am watching also because of Rosamund Pike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right, I'm not a fan of these kind of movies or books. I think I'd pass on this one altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poster scared me actually. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh! Sounds like I may want to steer clear of this one!! Not really a fan of these types of films or books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I was expecting a hight rating from your description of the film. But seems like it's not. I thought it will be a good film for actresses who want to learn from her

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is heavy to watch especially probably for ladies who've had bad experiences. It doesn't help that it ended without a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohh.. i don't think i would watch this. sounds rather.. meh-isn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder how many movies do you watch everyday to write these reviews. Thanks a bunch for this post, i'll make sure to watch this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl and I want to see her in this movie! I will watch out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have watch the film "I spit on your grave" and for me its a so-so film. I think if the film has a story on how not be raped or how to recover on that situation, I think it's a good film.

    ReplyDelete