Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Friends with Benefits

October 4, 2011

I was very intrigued with Mila Kunis since I saw her in "Black Swan." Her portrayal of the new ballet dancer that threatened Natalie Portman was spot-on and riveting. I knew I would like to see her again in other films. And so, even as romantic comedies are not exactly my cup of tea, I watched "Friends with Benefits."

The movie started very well with Jamie (Mila Kunis) and Dylan (Justin Timberlake) breaking up with their respective SO's. That paved the way for big-time blogger Dylan to meet professional head-hunter Jamie in New York City so she can convince him to accept a job as an editor in GQ Magazine. The situation devolves from a nice smart friendship into an unconscionable purely sexual relationship. Of course, the rest of the film goes as the typical rom-com formula goes: boy meets girl, they fight and separate, then they get back together.

While Mila Kunis is so attractive and bubbly in her portrayal of Jamie, I was disappointed to see her in this kind of loose character. Still, Mia Kunis is the best part of this movie. I am a fan of this girl. On the other hand, Justin Timberlake seems to be playing the same type of guy in all his films. The Justin here seems to be the same cocky, fast- talking, sleazy Justin in "Social Network" (the Facebook movie) or in "Bad Teacher"!

This film has got some remarkable supporting characters which divert our attention. Richard Jenkins as Dylan's dad with Alzheimer's was good, but seems out of place in this story. Jenna Elfman as Dylan's understanding sister was sweet. Patricia Clarkson as Jamie's hippy liberated mother was funny. Woody Harrelson as GQ's Sports Editor was hilarious in his few scenes.

For me, only the snappy dialogs and the perkiness of Mila Kunis save this movie. While I know that this type of "sex-only" arrangement exists in these hedonistic times, I do not particularly like to see this immoral situation "glamorized" on screen. Fornication is NOT cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment