Thursday, August 19, 2021

Netflix: Review of A FAR AWAY LAND: Predictable Plot in a Picturesque Place

August 19, 2021



A Filipino reporter Nico Mendoza (Paolo Contis) is making a documentary about successful Filipinas in the Arctic Circle. He went to the Faroe Islands to shoot an interview with Filipina Mahjoy Garðalið (pronounced as "Garaloy") who operated a successful food catering business there. He learned about her work schedule, her way of life, and her family life with her Faroese husband Sigmund and her daughter Lena. 

After bringing us to Iceland in "Through Night and Day" (2018) and Greenland in "Nuuk" (2019), globe-trotting writer-director Veronica B. Velasco brings us to an even more unfamiliar Arctic locale this time -- the small volcanic archipelago called the Faroe Islands, a Danish territory located between Iceland and Norway in the North Atlantic Ocean. According to this film, there are around 300 Filipinos living there now, mostly mail-order brides. 

The story is quite predictable from the get-go. From their first scene together, it was pretty obvious that Nico was going to fall in love with Mahjoy. However, Velasco tried her best to spice things up by bringing us around to see a place we would probably never see ourselves. While we marvel at the natural scenic beauty of mountains, waterfalls and ocean, she also introduced us to the exotic food items there, like the fermented meat or the fatty cheese. 

Paolo Contis and Yen Santos had a familiar handle on their characters . Contis was a natural at being a charming rascal, and Santos, a hardworking homemaker. Despite the simplicity of the plot, it was up to their chemistry to keep the audience interested. While there was a cute scene like when Mahjoy received surprises from the Philippines, there was also a scene which was totally uncomfortable to watch given that Mahjoy was a married woman. 

It was unfortunate that the picturesque Faroe Islands and the Faroese people had to be the backdrop such an unimaginative story of forbidden love (yet again!). It was even a story that did not exactly put our Filipina compatriots there in a good light, despite the admirable initial premise of celebrating a Filipina's success in a faraway country.  The scene at the airport practically summarized everything that was wrong with the reckless story. 4/10. 


7 comments:

  1. yup same sentiments. The story puts some bad light to some Filipina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her grandmother’s video greeting, as well as the lantern and ube, were all a little too cheesy. Wasn’t it Lola who sent all these? Isn’t he just delivering them? So why did he get all the praise for his thoughtfulness? Why didn’t he give her these padala the day he arrived?

    Hi Fred. Please come over to my website and rate this film.

    https://chakascore.ph/reviews/the-faraway-land-review/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of DR. USELU on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which I took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication I went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and I was completely cured, since then I have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer { DR.USELU } to everyone out there with the virus. Email: dr.uselucaregvier@gmail.com Add DR. USELU on whats App +234 7052898482

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the physicians says there is no cure for HSV 2!!! I am telling you today that DR.UMA cure HSV 2 with his herbal medicine and once you get cured you are cured forever it is never reversible, I have been suffering for this deadly disease called h HSV 2 for more than a 2years and lost all hope because my doctor says there is no cure for HSV 2. Brethren I saw a testimony on the internet on how DR.UMA cure HSV, Hapatitis etc with his herbal medication and an email and watsapp to contact him was also displayed, I thought this was joke but I decided to contact him and he replied telling me not to worry that my problem is over . DR.UMA sent me a herbal medication to drink for one month but only 2weeks I feel strange and I went to my doctor and he confirmed me negative. He can help you too. Contact him via email...dr.umaherbalcenter@gmail.co m WhatsApp +2347035619585. He is capable of curing AUTISM, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, HEPATITIS A B C, and DIABETES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. Wasteland. Rattery. rat bg up.jpg. Bringing home your new buddy! Below you can find all the info you need Rattery Menifee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and .active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr Ishiaku and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of it with the help of Dr Ishiaku and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +2348180828544.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world is astonished by the rate of poverty all over the globe, therefore Axis Capital Holdings Company is offering a loan to individual, Group of person's and companies with 2% interest rate. Email for more details axiscapitalholdings@mail.com

    ReplyDelete